Monday, October 30, 2006

Usually I am annoyed by forwarded emails about friendship and good luck. But today I received such an email, which celebrated Girlfriend's Day, from Lauretta, a program member at Julie's, and I loved it. I felt touched that she would think to share with me the sentiment, "I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, the hairspray I use and the friends I have." Over the last couple weeks I have felt much closer to the women served by Julie's.

Last Thursday I had the opportunity to go on the program member's retreat to Cohasset, a small coast town south of the city. Sister Louise asked me to come a couple minutes before we left the building, and I welcomed her invitation because I needed a break from the computer. Between the Annual Dinner video and the auction PowerPoint presentation, I have been in front of the computer a great deal lately.

I filmed the retreat, and I felt like the women had come to expect that from me. During free time I was able to sit and talk with different women as well. It was neat to see how much better I had gotten to know some of them, particularly the women who talked on the Annual Dinner video, like Lauretta. I also made some new friends like Theresa and Eva. The two sisters are alumni of the Julie's program. At the end of the retreat, Theresa hugged me, kissed my cheek, and quietly said, "Welcome to the family."

Since the Annual Dinner will be over soon, I have started thinking more about what I will pursue as my personal documentary here at Julie's. After the retreat I felt a sense of confirmation about an idea I had had in the back of my mind for a while. I would like to photograph mothers and their children in their homes using my view camera and then compile these images into a book. I realize this is a simple idea, at least more simple than some of the elaborate ideas I had when I began to work here, but I just see everything that happens at the organization as serving that end - the strengthening of relationships between mothers and children.

I did some research and found a photographer in the Boston area who specializes in photographing children and families. She works in the homes of families and uses natural light. I found her email address plan to ask her if I can shadow her for a length of time to learn more about how she works and engages with her subjects, particularly the younger children, as she photographs them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home