Tuesday, November 28, 2006

It has been three weeks since my last post. I have not been too busy to write really, but I have been unsure of what to write. Many things seem up in the air. I am waiting and feeling increasingly eager to start photographing families and working in the darkroom. Both of these activities will most likely begin in January.

Sister Jean, Sister Louise, Bob, and I began a discussion a couple weeks ago about my "scope of work" - what I will accomplish here. But we have not yet come back together to prioritize the long list of projects. They are all very busy, and that is hard.


Over this last period of time I have kept busy photographing and filming "special events" at Julie's. There was a musical performance by a Peruvian native, a Disney Magic Show (see above), and a Thanksgiving store.

I also filmed the second women's retreat to Cohasset, which was a wonderful way to get to know the woman even better. While there are many obvious ways I feel different from the women served by Julie's, I realized on this second retreat that there is a deep sea of things that we have in common, namely our experiences with men and death. I compiled the film and footage from both retreats into a DVD, and Sister Louise showed it to the woman at the Thanksgiving brunch last week.

I recently finished updating the wall of children's photographs, and it felt great to get that done. Today I filmed in the Montessori preschool and hope to use the footage to compile the Montessori portion of the "day in the life of childcare" movie series. Julie's would like to use these videos as educational tools for the moms and also to introduce new program members to the childcare rooms.

Over the last couple of weeks I have continued to investigate opportunities to rent darkroom space. The most publicized avenues were much too expensive. I found rates of $300 for seven full days or 40 hours to be considered "normal" in the Boston area. Through a seemingly dead end phone call I talked to a woman who knew some one who might be able to help me. Trish has a darkroom in an apartment building basement, and she will let me use it for $90 a month if I commit to 6 months (January through June). We are meeting tomorrow evening to walk through the space. All of the photographers who use it photograph with 4x5 view cameras too, which is very exciting to me.

I also have an appointment with Jessica, the photographer who works with young children in families in their homes, on December 7th. I am excited to talk with her about her approach and to hopefully convince her to let me tag along on a shoot. You can check out her work at www.bostonbabyphotos.com.

As I have sat here writing this, I realize that the sort of things I have been doing are necessary for the project that is to come. It is sort of like pinning on my number and wiggling around in the corral with alot of people in spandex before a race. I guess I am just ready to start running.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home